Attorney At Law
C. Willis Ritter and the Law Office of C. Willis Ritter, PLLC in Washington, D.C., are Of Counsel with Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A. Over his 45 year career, Mr. Ritter has acted as counsel in respect to approximately 900 separate public finance transactions totaling over $50 billion in aggregate principal amount. From 1969 through 1972, he was a Senior Attorney Adviser in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Tax Policy, where he drafted statutes and regulations addressing the tax-exempt status of interest on municipal bonds. He has written and lectured extensively on that subject.
Mr. Ritter has worked closely with issuers and investment bankers throughout the country to develop a number of widely known legal and financing techniques in the area of public finance. These include developments in Advance Refundings, Mortgage Revenue Bonds, Capital Appreciation Bonds (also known as “zero coupon municipals”); Taxable Defeasances; Tender Option Bonds and Municipal Derivatives; and Grantor Trust Pooled Lease Financings.
Mr. Ritter received his Juris Doctor from the University of Virginia in 1965 and Bachelor of Arts from Cornell University in 1962.
Mr. Ritter’s recent experience includes:
- He was winning counsel in the seminal State of Washington case (1984), the first successful legal challenge to IRS “legislative regulations” on tax-exempt bonds.
- In 2006, he secured the no cost exoneration of the lead underwriter of $700 million in 10 separate bond issues under IRS audit.
- In 2005 he acted as Special Escrow and Tax Counsel for nearly $2 billion of escrow restructuring transactions.
- In 2004-2008, he chaired the NABL Task Force on State & Local Government Securities (“SLGS”).
- In 2004, he became one of only 6 recipients of the Outstanding Service Award from the National Association of Bond Lawyers.
- In 2003, he successfully defended the audits of 6 “blind pool” transactions totaling close to $2 billion.
- In 2003, he served as Swaps Counsel for Illinois’ first $600 million swaps transaction.
- Legal consultant to the United States Agency for International Development (US AID) and the United Nations, 1998-2002
- Chief Legal Adviser to establish the Global Fund to Fight HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria based in Geneva, Switzerland, 2001-2002
- “Ritter Scholars Program” at the University of Virginia Law School
- “Roy H. Ritter 30 Masters in Engineering” Fellowship at Cornell University’s College of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- “Ritter Scholarships” at The McDonough School in Baltimore, MD
Memberships & Affiliations
- Founding Member, Director, Treasurer, and Education Chairman, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Charter Member and Fellow, American College of Bond Counsel
C. Willis Ritter, Esq.
Law Office of C. Willis Ritter, PLLC
1990 M Street, NW Suite 570
Washington, DC 20036
Telephone: (202) 470-4814
Facsimile: (202) 204-8609