James W. McConkey
111 West Monroe Street, Suite 700
Chicago, Illinois 60603
James W. McConkey is a partner in the Chicago office of Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A. He focuses his practice on a wide range of civil litigation, including business disputes, breach of contract, insurance defense, coverage claims and bad faith actions, negligence, first party property claims, subrogation, toxic tort and traditional tort claims, wrongful death matters, product liability, construction defect and mechanic’s liens claim. Mr. McConkey’s practice also includes medical and dental malpractice defense and long-term health care negligence for insurers and self-insured clients.
Mr. McConkey is voted a Leading Lawyer in Commercial Litigation by Law Bulletin Media from 2015 to present and is recognized by Super Lawyers Chicago Magazine an honor not more than 5% of the lawyers in the state receive (2007; 2021).
Prior to joining QPWB, Mr. McConkey was a commercial litigator with a regional business litigation law firm where he focused in the areas of business law, construction law, professional liability, and transportation law. Previously, and for over 15 years, he was an associate with a leading national business law firm where he was a member of the Consumer Financial Services group.
Types of Representations Handled
Mr. McConkey has decades of experience defending and trying all types of tort claims including construction, premises, products, toxic tort, and subrogation matters in both state and federal jurisdictions.
- Lead counsel in general liability claims, including tort actions involving personal injury, first party property claims, wrongful death, negligence, construction defect, construction negligence claims, and product liability.
- Defended a regional public utility company on various actions, including tort and property damage claims.
- Defended hundreds of toxic torts claims on behalf of a Big Three automotive company in Madison County, Illinois and St. Louis, Missouri.
- Lead counsel in subrogation actions on behalf of insurers seeking recovery of large-scale claims paid to insureds from responsible third parties.
- Lead counsel in state and federal commercial litigation matters, including contract, specific performance, fraud, unjust enrichment, Illinois Credit Agreements Act, breach of fiduciary duty claims, unfair competition, patent infringement, non-competition and non-solicitation, tortious interference, common law and statutory consumer fraud claims, spoliation of evidence, construction, shareholder derivative claims, and business partner disputes.
- Defended various actions brought against Fortune 500 companies in Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio, including putative class action lawsuits.
- Lead counsel in individual and putative class action lawsuits involving claimed violations of state and federal laws affecting consumer lending, including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Gramm Leach Bliley Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Truth in Lending Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and state debt collection statutes.
- Handled foreclosure and workouts claims involving local and national lending institutions relating to their lending and foreclosure activities.
- Counseled debt acquisition and collections companies regarding compliance with state and federal statutes.
- Represented the beneficiary of a multimillion-dollar estate in litigation against an executor and co-trustees of a trust in which the vast majority of executor’s assets had been transferred.
Mr. McConkey received his Juris Doctor from Seattle University School of Law in 1989 and a Bachelor of Arts in History from Davidson College, North Carolina in 1986.
Mr. McConkey is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Missouri and is admitted in the U.S. District Court for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of Illinois and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- The impact of the Illinois Credit Agreements Act on commercial lenders
Areas of Practice
- Assisted Living Facilities
- Automotive Liability
- Construction Claims
- Dental Malpractice Defense
- General Litigation
- Hospitals/Acute Care Facilities
- Insurance and Insurers
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Nursing Homes
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Malpractice Defense
- Trucking and Transportation
Seattle University School of Law, J.D. (1989)
Davidson College, B.A. (1986)