Manuel A. Fernandez
9300 South Dadeland Blvd., 4th Floor
Miami, Florida 33156
Manuel A. Fernandez is a partner in the Miami office of Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A. Mr. Fernandez is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Florida Bar Board of Legal Education and Specialization since 2002. Additionally, from 1997 to 2008, he was also Board Certified in Workers’ Compensation Law by the Florida Bar Board of Legal Education and Specialization. He is an accomplished trial lawyer with over 20 years of experience, receiving over 125 jury verdicts in the areas of insurance defense covering major catastrophic claims having a variety of origins and complex litigation on behalf of major U.S. and international commercial property and casualty insurers. Mr. Fernandez has a diverse law practice that focuses on torts, personal injury defense, professional negligence, products liability, labor and employment law, workers’ compensation defense, automobile liability, including PIP/UM/UIM; construction law, and Social Security Disability. He has litigated matters before federal and state trial and appellate courts, and in administrative forums.
Mr. Fernandez was designated as a Major Case Unit (MCU) trial attorney assigned to handle catastrophic cases and complex litigation for CNA Insurance as well as Zurich. He practiced as chief trial attorney for over 10 years handling insurance defense claims throughout South Florida at various law firms representing cases involving significant economic, non-economic and disability damages. As an expert in workers’ compensation law, he established the workers’ compensation division of an insurance defense law firm in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., while serving as a senior trial attorney handling major lines insurance claims and workers’ compensation claims for AIG. His prior experience also includes representing plaintiffs’ personal injury and PIP cases through trial.
Mr. Fernandez received his Juris Doctor from Florida State University College of Law in 1991, a Bachelor of Science from Florida State University in 1984, graduating with a major in Psychology; and a Bachelor of Arts in Biochemistry and Bachelor of Science in Microbiology from Florida Atlantic University in 1982.
Mr. Fernandez is licensed to practice law in Florida and is a member of The Florida Bar; he is also admitted to the Federal Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida; and U.S. Court of Appeal for the Eleventh Circuit.
Mr. Fernandez is fluent in Spanish.
Pagliery, Jose “Defense Team Persuades Jury to Reject $2.5 Million Dollar Negligence Claim.” Miami Daily Business Review 12-30-2011
Select Representative Matters:
Wolfe v Nazaire, 758 So.2d 730 (Fla. 4th DCA 2000)
Wolfe v Nazaire, 713 So.2d 1108 (Fla. 4th DCA 1998)
Montes De Oca v Orkin Exterminators, 692 So.2d 257 (Fla. 3d DCA 1997)
Santiesteban v Okeelanta Corp., 688 So.2d 1 (Fla. 1st DCA 1997)
Resillez v Metropolitan Dade County, 653 So.2d 1145 (Fla. 3d DCA 1995)
Trials - Defense Cases Reported in JVR
Amaya v Twin Oil Co., (Dade County) 12-09-2010
- Defense verdict in gas station shooting with catastrophic injuries.
Gonzalez v Taylor, (Dade County) 6-25-2010
- Defense verdict in rear end collision where plaintiff was a passenger and had $173,000.00 in medical bills for lumbar fusion with instrumentation.
Lewis v Cedar Grove Apartments, (Dade County) 1-2010
- Defense verdict in shooting case with a $100,000 - $300,000 high low agreement.
Alcazar v Smith Properties, (Dade County) 2-09-2007
- Defense verdict in trip and fall case involving permanent disability of young plaintiff where plaintiff asked for $1 million in closing.
Pena v Wilco Electrical, (Dade County) 7-14-2006
- Award of $6,500 (reduced to zero after set-offs) in claim of an elderly woman who injured her knee and shoulder in a fall over uneven concrete requiring surgery.
Blackstock v Continental Real Estate, (Dade County) 4-06-2006
- Defense verdict in case of a woman who tripped over defective carpet at office building and fractured her humerus.
Maldonado v The Beckford Corp., (Dade County) 12-15-2005
- Defense verdict in case of a female tenant at residential property who suffered a tri-malleolar fracture requiring three surgeries as a result of a fall over landscape edging.
Ball v CAS Management, (Dade County) 3-10-2004
- Defense verdict in case of Vietnam War veteran who stepped in pothole covered with water in parking lot. Plaintiff had a bimalleolar fracture that required three surgeries.
QPWB Gets Complete Defense Verdict – Plaintiff Gets Zero
Father & Son Prevail on Summary Judgment and Are Awarded Fees
Areas of Practice
- Automotive Liability
- Construction Claims
- General Litigation
- Healthcare and Transactional
- Insurance and Insurers
- Labor and Employment Law
- Product Liability
- Professional Malpractice Defense
- Workers' Compensation Defense
Florida State University College of Law, J.D. (1991)
Florida State University, B.S. (1984)
Florida Atlantic University, B.A., B.S. (1982)