Deborah L. Moskowitz
255 South Orange Avenue, Suite 900
Orlando, Florida 32801
111 West Monroe Street, Suite 700
Chicago, Illinois 60603
Deborah L. Moskowitz, a Shareholder of the firm, is the managing partner of the firm’s Orlando Office and also practices from the firm’s Chicago office. Her areas of practice include the defense of health care professionals and entities including: doctors, nurses, physical therapists, advanced registered nurse practitioners, hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities and CCRCs. Ms. Moskowitz’s client base also includes many car dealerships throughout the southeast as well as a variety of hospitality interests. Ms. Moskowitz also handles employment litigation, professional liability, as well as the defense of personal injury and premises liability matters. She counsels businesses on structure, various aspects of operations and risk management. Ms. Moskowitz has been bitten by the startup bug herself as she is the Managing Member of Fat Cat Gourmet Foods, LLC a gourmet hot sauce and condiment company she owns and operates with her husband. Fat Cat has garnered national recognition for its products and they are now sold throughout the world, its sales having increased significantly in each of the years it has been in existence.
Ms. Moskowitz has attained the highest Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent from the Martindale Hubbell Law Directory; the rating is based upon the confidential opinions of the Bar and Judiciary, independently attesting to her legal ability and high professional ethical standards.
Ms. Moskowitz is admitted to practice in the states of Florida, Illinois, Tennessee and Texas. She is also licensed to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, all Federal Districts of Florida and the Western District of Michigan. Ms. Moskowitz is a member of the American Bar Association, The Florida Defense Lawyers Association, the Orange County Bar Association, the Central Florida Association of Women Lawyers and the Phi Delta Phi Honors Legal Fraternity. She is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, an honor limited to approximately one percent of the lawyers in a particular state.
Ms. Moskowitz first practiced law as an Assistant State Attorney for the 18th Judicial Circuit in Sanford, Florida, where she was recognized for her intensive work with Domestic Violence victims. Ms. Moskowitz tried several cases in both County and Circuit court while with the State. She later was in-house counsel for C.N.A. Insurance in Maitland, where she handled significant risk claims for the company and oversaw various compliance issues for a third party administrator program for a Fortune Top 10 company.
A graduate of the University of Miami, where she received a Bachelor of Science in 1994, Ms. Moskowitz earned her Juris Doctor in 1997 from the Cumberland School of Law at Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama. This program is consistently ranked in the top 10 nationwide for its Trial Advocacy Program. Ms. Moskowitz received awards for her performances in various Client Counseling and Negotiation Competitions. She also was a member of Cumberland’s National Trial Team. Ms. Moskowitz serves as a Guardian Ad Litem for children in Orange County and volunteers as both a jury advisor and judge for Orange County Teen Court.
Current Professional and Community Leadership
- Board of Zoning Adjustment, Chair/District 4 Commissioner, Orange County, Florida,
- Legal Aid Society of the Orange County Bar Association, Immediate Past President, Board of Trustees
- Cumberland School of Law Alumni Advisory Board
- University of Miami Alumni Association Orlando Chapter, President, Ex-officio
- University of Miami Alumni Council
- American Diabetes Association of Central Florida, Community Leadership Board, Past Chairwoman
- Orlando Business Journal “Mentoring Monday,” Mentor/Participant
- District 1 Taskforce Member/City of Orlando
Awards and Recognitions
- Member of the Iron Arrow Society, University of Miami’s highest honor
- One of Orlando Magazine’s Women of the Year for 2019
- Selected among “America’s Most Influential Women” by Sky Radio, in a segment dedicated to the recognition of outstanding women in law and in the corporate world (interview aired July 2005)
- Nominated to “Women Who Mean Business” Orlando Business Journal award (2011)
- Pro Bono Service Award “2015 Elizabeth Susan Khoury Guardian Ad Litem Award of Excellence” Legal Aid Society of Central Florida and the Florida Supreme Court
- Founders Award from the Orange County Teen Court (2016-2017)
Seminars and Presentations
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers (FAWL) “Taking the First Chair, Part 1,” Panelist, CLE Webinar, January 27, 2021
Ms. Moskowitz shares her talents and resources to improve the quality of life in the communities where she works.
- Court appointed guard ad litem for children in foster care, the dependency and truancy systems, and victims of crime.
- Serves as a mentor to young attorney graduates from both the Cumberland School of Law and the University of Miami School of Law as well as current law students of FAMU and Barry University.
- Serves as a volunteer to Give Kids The World Village.
- Serves as a Judge for the Orange County Teen Court.
The Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals Finds Employer Interfered with Injured Worker’s Eligibility and Rights Under FMLA
Deborah L. Moskowitz Elected Chair of the Orange County Board of Zoning Adjustment
Arbitration Defense Verdict for Senior Residential Community
Court Finds No Claims Exist to Sustain Charges Set Before Defendants – Grants Motion for Final Summary Judgment
Deborah L. Moskowitz Named Among Orlando’s Women of the Year 2019
Deborah Moskowitz Receives Guardian Ad Litem Award of Excellence
Areas of Practice
- Assisted Living Facilities
- Healthcare and Transactional
- Hospitals/Acute Care Facilities
- Insurance and Insurers
- Labor and Employment Law
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Nursing Homes
- Premises Liability
- Professional Malpractice Defense
Cumberland School of Law Samford University, J.D. (1997)
University of Miami, B.S. (1994)
Florida, Illinois, Tennessee, Texas