Rinaldo J. Cartaya, III is a partner in the Orlando office of Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A., and Chairs the firm's Construction Practice Group. Mr. Cartaya represents general contractors, subcontractors, distributors, manufacturers and design professionals in all areas of construction litigation and transactional capacity in civil, federal and alternative dispute resolution venues. He has served as lead counsel in numerous multimillion-dollar construction defect cases comprising residential, multi-family, single-family custom homes, condominiums, and commercial buildings with values exceeding $50 million.
Mr. Cartaya attended the University of Florida and earned his Juris Doctor from Barry University School of Law in 2013. During law school, Mr. Cartaya clerked for The Hon. Judge Adam McGinnis of the Ninth Judicial Circuit and gained invaluable insight into the manner in which the Court makes decisions.
Mr. Cartaya is licensed to practice law in Florida and is a member of The Florida Bar. He is admitted in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Mr. Cartaya has presented numerous times in Florida, and at national conferences, on various subjects related to Construction Defect and Complex Litigation matters. He has served on numerous positions within the Orange County Bar Association. On a national level, Mr. Cartaya has served on the Construction Law Committee of DRI since 2016 and is currently the Vice-Chair of the DRI Construction Law Conference.
Mr. Cartaya is a member of the Orange County Bar Construction Law Committee and is on the Board of DRI's Construction Section. He is a past President of Barry University School of Law Alumni Association (2018).
He is fluent in Spanish.
Seminars and Presentations
- "The End Game: How to Develop and Implement Your Resolution Strategy," DRI - Bootcamp, Chicago, 2018.
- "Construction Defect Implications as to Statute of Limitations Triggers, Statute of Repose Revisions, Altman v. Crum & Forster Supreme Court Ruling, and Frye / Daubert Applicability for Experts," QPWB Claims Fest II, Orlando, 2018.
- "Construction Law: Defending Building Product Manufacturers" DRI, Las Vegas, 2019
- "Roofing Claims in Florida - The Sky is Falling," CLM Annual Construction Conference, San Diego, 2021.
- "Insurance Exhaustion - Managing the insurance coverage landscape and defending claims," DRI Annual Construction Conference, Austin, 2022.
- DRI Construction Annual Conference Vice-Chair, Las Vegas, 2023
- DRI Construction Annual Conference Vice-Chair, Phoenix, 2024
Mr. Cartaya has also presented seminars to several insurance companies to satisfy CE requirements, including a 5-hour Law and Ethics presentation.
In-House Defense Quarterly: "New Hire Wasteland: Identifying and Fostering Talent in a Candidate Barren Environment"
Areas of Practice
- Construction Claims
- General Litigation
- Premises Liability
Barry University School of Law, J.D. (2013)
University of Florida, B.A. (2010)