Sylvia A. Krainin
9300 South Dadeland Blvd., 4th Floor
Miami, Florida 33156
Sylvia A. Krainin is a partner with the Miami office of Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A. Ms. Krainin focuses her practice on representing employers and their carriers, professional sports franchises and leagues in workers' compensation and labor and employment matters. This representation includes counseling and defending management in workers' compensation claims, grievances and arbitration proceedings pursuant to contract and collective bargaining agreements. In these areas, Ms. Krainin has advised and served as counsel to the National Football League Management Council (NFLMC) in non-injury grievance proceedings under the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement and in various state court proceedings. Specifically, she has handled more than 50 appeals and has presented oral argument before the Florida Supreme Court, the First District Court of Appeal and the NFLMC-NFLPA (NFL Players Association) National Appellate Arbitrator. In addition, her practice also includes commercial litigation, entertainment and sports law, as well as insurance and general liability defense. Ms. Krainin is a member of the NFLMC's Committee on Workers' Compensation Coverage of NFL Players and is a member of the NFL's Workers' Compensation Reimbursement Panel. Ms. Krainin is also a designated workers' compensation panel attorney for Major League Baseball and serves as National Workers' Compensation Coordinating Counsel for a fortune 500 company. Ms. Krainin is recognized in Florida Super Lawyers® by Law & Politics magazine and has attained the highest Peer Review Ratinga,, of AV® Preeminent (TM)by Martindale Hubbell. Before joining QPWB, Ms. Krainin was a partner with a labor & employment law firm in Miami; and previously, with another Miami law firm as head of the Workers' Compensation Defense Practice Group. Ms. Krainin received her Juris Doctor from the University of Miami School of Law in 1988 and Bachelor of Arts, with honors, from Skidmore College in 1984. Ms. Krainin is licensed to practice law in Florida and is admitted in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. She is a member of the Florida Bar Workers' Compensation Law and Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law (EASL) sections. Ms. Krainin serves on the editorial board of LawInSport, the world leading sports law knowledge hub and global community that provides practically focused expert analysis and commentary on the latest legal developments in sport. Ms. Krainin is also a member of the Dade County and American Bar Associations and the Sports Lawyers Association. Representative Experience:
- Counselor and advisor to a fortune 500 company with multi-state operations on development; administration and implementation of a national workers' compensation claims handling platform.
- Provision of legal direction and practical guidance to NFL Clubs on reduction of workers' compensation costs and claims.
- Oversight and management of litigation for employer in compelling numerous workers' compensation claims made against them to arbitration based upon breach of contract, violation of collective bargaining agreement and federal preemption principles.
- Assisted in-house labor department of national telecommunications provider with successful defense of grievance brought under collective bargaining agreement following termination.
- Legal advisor on labor, employment and workers' compensation issues to professional sports franchises, leagues and organizations including lobbying efforts in several states on workers' compensation reform bills to curtail rising workers' compensation costs.
- Moderator on "Hot Topics in Sports Not Called NIL," at the 34th Annual North American Law Summit (2022).
- Panelist and Speaker "Understand The Rules Of The Game 2019" - The Impact of Insurance on Domestic and International Sport, LawInSport Annual Conference, Royal Institution of Great Britain, Mayfair, London, UK - September 12 and 13, 2019.
- Speaker on "Talent Disputes from the Professional Sports Perspective" at the 30th Annual North American Law Summit (2018)
- Speaker on "Representing the Miami Marlins and Miami Dolphins" at Florida International University's Business Law Society Event (2017)
- Speaker on "Careers in Entertainment and Sports Law" at the University of Miami Entertainment and Sports Law Society Event (2017)
- Speaker on "Sports Jeopardy: Hot Litigation Topics of the Year "at 28th Annual North American Law Summit (2016).
- Speaker on "Sports Jeopardy: Hot Litigation Topics of the Year "at 27th Annual North American Law Summit (2015).
- Speaker on "Concussions in Sports" at the British Associate of Sport and Law Conference (2014).
- Speaker on "Money Talks: The Real Reason Player's & Leagues Fight Over Workers' Compensation Jurisdiction" at the 2013 annual Sports Lawyers Conference.
- Speaker on "Artists and Labor Law" at the ABA's 2011 International Legal Symposium on Music, Film, Television and Sports.
- Moderator on "Legal Ramifications of Head Trauma in Sports" at 2011 annual Sports Lawyers Conference.
- Speaker on "Sports-Collective Bargaining Agreements" at 22nd Annual North American Entertainment, Sports and Intellectual Property Law Conference (2010).
- Panelist and speaker on "Avoiding Sports Insurance Pitfalls" at University of Miami Law School's 12th Annual Entertainment & Sports Law Symposium (2009).
- Lecturer on "Athletes and Injuries-Rights and Remedies" at 20th Annual Entertainment and Sports Law Conference (2008).
- Program Co-Chair and speaker at Florida Bar Entertainment, Arts & Sports Law Section's presentation of "Legal Issues Related to Representing the NFL."
Areas of Practice
- Labor and Employment
- General Litigation
- Insurance and Insurers
- Workers' Compensation Defense
University of Miami School of Law, J.D. (1988 )
Skidmore College, B.A., with honors (1984)