Frank Alvarez is the managing partner in the Dallas office of Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A. His practice focuses in the areas of healthcare, medical malpractice, commercial and business litigation, consumer finance, general liability, premises liability and products liability. Mr. Alvarez has extensive experience in the defense of a wide range of medical specialties and related medical issues. He represents health care systems, hospitals, physicians, allied health providers, ambulatory surgery centers, home health agencies, hospices, drug and medical device manufacturers, nursing homes, assisted living facilities and other long term care facilities in both state court and federal court and represents parties before state and federal agencies, including the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners. He has significant experience in large settlement negotiation, mediation, and arbitration.
Mr. Alvarez has attained the highest Peer Review Rating of AV® from the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory; the rating is based upon the confidential opinions of the Bar and the Judiciary, independently attesting to his legal ability and high professional ethical standards. He is also listed in the Best Lawyers In America and in Texas Super Lawyers.
As part of his practice, Mr. Alvarez provides skilled, proficient and practical training on medical and legal issues critical to the healthcare industry. He advises clients about corporate compliance, risk management issues, contract negotiation, and mergers and acquisitions.
In his litigation practice, Mr. Alvarez also focuses on the representation of multi-national and local businesses in a broad range of industries regarding claims involving business torts, breach of contract, trade secret, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference, and other causes of action that directly impact clients’ bottom line.
Prior to joining QPWB, Mr. Alvarez was a partner with a Dallas law firm specializing in commercial litigation where he also served as chair of the diversity committee. Since commencing in private practice in 1996, he has successfully defended physicians involving catastrophic injuries by demonstrating compliance with standard of care and / or lack of causation relating to injuries. He has successfully mitigated damages relating to nursing home injuries by demonstrating other non-related medical causes which contributed to the alleged injuries.
Mr. Alvarez received his Juris Doctor from St. Mary’s University School of Law, San Antonio, Texas in 1996 and Bachelor of Arts from the University of Texas at Austin in 1993, graduating with a major in government.
Mr. Alvarez is licensed to practice law in Texas and New Mexico. He is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas; the U.S. Court of Appeal for the Fifth Circuit; and the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico.
Mr. Alvarez is a certified National Football League Players Association (NFLPA) Contract Advisor (NFL Agent). He provides quality legal representation to professional athletes and amateur athletes in the areas of contract negotiation.
- Successfully represented some of the nation’s leading providers of nursing home, assisted living, skilled nursing, acute care and long-term care services.
- Successfully represented health care systems, hospitals, physicians, allied health providers, ambulatory surgery centers, home health agencies, hospices, and drug and medical device manufacturers throughout Texas in a wide variety of claims.
- Successfully obtained a reversal at the Twelfth Court of Appeals in Tyler, Texas of the district court’s order denying a motion for a new trial on a default judgment. The appellate court also remanded for the re-determination of the district court’s attorney’s fee award.
- Successfully obtained an affirmation at the U.S. court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit on behalf of an employee productivity client in an ERISA case.
- Successfully represented a specialized consumer finance company engaged in the purchase, securitization and servicing of retail installment contracts.
- Successfully managed full accountability for all trademark matters, including the procurement, prosecution, licensing, policing, enforcement, and transfer of intellectual property for clients in a variety of industries including finance, technology, consumer products, medical devices, and retail.
- Successfully obtained injunctive relief and negotiated co-existence agreements for companies within various industries.
- Successfully represented leading national consulting, engineering and testing firm in a wide variety of matters, including claims involving breach of employment agreements, debt collection claims and a multi-million dollar roof collapse claim.
- Successfully represented one of the nation's largest diversified wholesale distributors in a wide variety of matters.
- Successfully represented numerous physicians in mass tort litigation involving several prescription medications, including Rezulin, Fen-Phen, Serzone and Baycol. In all cases, the physicians were nonsuited without payment.
- Successfully represented physicians in matters before various medical boards.
- Successfully briefed an appeal to the Fort Worth Court of Appeals, upholding summary judgment in favor of a trucking company on the basis that mental anguish damages are not recoverable in Texas in the absence of physical injury.
- Prevailed on numerous motions to dismiss on behalf of physicians and other healthcare providers as a result of Plaintiff’s failure to satisfy the requirements of applicable statutes governing medical malpractice cases in the State of Texas.
Awards and Recognitions
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rating
- The Best Lawyers In America© guide, 2014
- Texas Super Lawyers magazine, 2004–2008, 2013-2022
- “The Best Lawyers in Dallas” – D Magazine, 2014-2022
- Super Lawyers magazine “Texas Rising Stars”- 2004
- "Dallas' Best Lawyers under 40" - D Magazine, 2006
Publications & Presentations
- Speaker, “Defusing Claims With Your Wound Care Documentation,” at Texas Healthcare Association Annual Convention, September 28, 2021
- Podcast – The Jury is Still Out – Healthcare Law Defense - May 22, 2020
- Author and speaker, “Long Term Care: What You Need to Know About the New CMS Regulations and Litigation,” Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A., Claims Fest, September 21, 2018.
- Author and speaker, “Technology’s Double-Edged Sword. The Implications of Social Media and Electronic Medical Records on Healthcare Provider Liability,” Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A., Claims Fest, October 6, 2017
- Author and speaker, “Defending the Elopement and Fall Case: Tips and Tools That Must Be Part of Your Defense,” at Defense Research Institute Nursing Home/Assisted Living Facility Litigation Seminar, September 14, 2017
- Author and speaker, "Moving West: Basic Comparisons Between Texas and New Mexico Law," July 2009
- Author and speaker, “Top 10 Plaintiffs’ Tactics and How to Combat Them,” at Defense Research Institute Nursing Home/Assisted Living Facility Litigation Seminar, September 4, 2008
- Author and speaker, “Synergy Between Treating Patients and Managing Employees,” at DFW Healthcare Human Resources Association, February 27, 2008
- Author, “Costello Limits Role of Nurses as Causation Experts.”
- Author, Appellate Brief in Fitzpatrick v. Copeland, 80 S.W.3d 297, Tex. App. - Fort Worth 2002, pet. denied
- Co-author, “Pre-Suit Issues Arising From Texas Healthcare Liability Reform,” September 2004
- Author and speaker, “The Impact of House Bill 4 and What it Means to You,” July 2004
- Author and speaker on various healthcare liability and litigation topics.
- Author and co-author of papers and manuals on discovery rules, health maintenance organizations and premises liability.
- Speaker, “Legal Diversity Forum,” Belo Mansion, Dallas, Texas, June 24, 2005
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Dallas Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Defense Research Institute
- North Texas Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- American Health Lawyers Association
- New Mexico Healthcare Association
- New Mexico Defense Lawyers Association
- Texas Assisted Living Association
- Prevent Blindness, Texas Board of Directors
- SMU Athletic Forum, Board of Directors
- St. Mary’s University Law Alumni Association, Former Member, Board of Directors
Mr. Alvarez is fluent in Spanish.
Areas of Practice
- Assisted Living Facilities
- Business, Financial Services & Real Estate Division
- General Litigation
- Healthcare and Transactional
- Hospital/ Acute Care Facilities
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Nursing Homes
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Malpractice Defense
- Residential and Commercial RE Transactions, Litigation and Development - Financial
- Title Insurance & Escrow Services
St. Mary's University School of Law, J.D. (1996)
University of Texas, B.A. (1993)
Texas, New Mexico